When Dr. Laura Veale set up her practice at no. 3 Victoria Avenue in 1904 she made history. She was not only the first woman doctor in Harrogate but the first in the whole of Yorkshire. As the current occupiers of 3 Victoria Avenue, Richard Eves Architects have maintained the building’s strong links working with local Health Trusts to design facilities both in Harrogate and throughout the Yorkshire region, with their most recent projects focusing on expertise in the provision of mental health facilities.
Peter Eves of Richard Eves Architects commented, “Because of our strong links with health providers in the area, it was gratifying to find out that our building had such an important history, and we are thrilled to have the plaque commemorating the life of Dr Laura Veale unveiled today”.
Among those present at the unveiling were the Mayor, Nick Brown, senior figures from Harrogate Civic Society, Harrogate Medical Society, historian Malcolm Neesam, who researched and wrote the text for the plaque, in conjunction with Harrogate Medical Society and Harrogate Civic Society along with the Richard Eves Architects LLP.
For the full story head to Harrogate Advertiser’s website at: